Bilateral Simultaneous Tympanometry with the KUDUwave™ TMP
Publication in the American Journal of Audiology
Many advances have been made to increase accessibility to hearing healthcare services. The KUDUwave™ audiometer, with increased passive attenuation, has been validated as a boothless audiometer paving a way to increased hearing related services in environments without sound-treated booths. The KUDUwave TMP, which integrates tympanometry and acoustic reflex measurements, is the most recent configuration of the KUDUwave audiometer. The KUDUwave TMP has been clinically validated as an accurate and reliable measurement instrument of tympanometry in its unilateral and/ or bilateral simultaneous mode – a world first! See the publication on the American Journal of Audiology here.
Tympanometry forms an integral part of every hearing healthcare clinic. Otoscopic examinations rely heavily on the clinician’s expertise and knowledge, in addition, pure-tone audiometry alone has a low accuracy in identifying middle ear disorders. As a result, middle ear pathologies are often not diagnosed or misdiagnosed which may lead to serious complications.
Nevertheless, a major concern, especially in developing countries, is the lack of affordable diagnostic equipment, such as tympanometers, in primary health care clinics, remote environments, and occupational health sites.
The KUDUwave TMP serves as an example of a more cost-effective and accessible piece of equipment that can facilitate the diagnosis of middle ear pathologies, thus offering comprehensive audiological services in one audiological device. Among its characteristics are;
- The KUDUwave TMP is integrated inside the KUDUwave audiometer allowing for comprehensive audiological test battery.
- The KUDUwave TMP can conduct simultaneous bilateral tympanometry – this is especially useful in difficult-to-test patients by assessing both ears simultaneously. One common anecdote is that difficult to-test-patients, such as children, may not allow the clinician to obtain tympanometric measurements in the second ear as they have experienced the unfamiliar pressure with the first ear being tested.
- Save clinical time by assessing both ears at the same time. No swapping between probes when conducting acoustic reflex measurements.
- KUDUwave TMP on the test subject ensures that an airtight seal is easily achieved and maintained (using the circumaural ear cups to keep the probe in place).
- The KUDUwave TMP has two tympanometers; this does not only allow for bilateral simultaneous tympanometry but also ensures that a hearing care clinic still continues to operate should one tympanometer stop functioning. This will benefit remote areas that may not be in proximity to the device’s manufacturer.